Re: [OM] IMG: More Spring in February

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Spring in February
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 10:51:17 -0900
Moose-in-One wrote:

> I didn't expect anyone would recognize a built-in zoom camera with old
> fashioned mechanical shutter release receptacle.

It's definitely an oddity. What is even more odd is that SONY doesn't
use this very shutter-release button on other cameras--especially the
A7 series.

> With coins in my jeans from my recent gear sales, I decided to look for
> something in-between. I hadn't noticed when the
> RX10 series leapt from 24-200 mm to 24-600 mm. The reviews make it sound like
> the best of that ilk, and possibly the
> answer to my search. It even takes the same battery as my A7.

The lens is remarkable too. Very sharp and has the micro-contrast in
all the right places. Distortion is a bit rich as you'd expect for a
superzoom.

> And speaking of shutter releases, Panny has no mechanical, wired or dedicated
> wireless shutter release options. Only via
> smartphone app, which is overkill for most of my use. Why?

While I really like using the smartphone remote function, it's good
for specific purposes, not every purpose. And the latency is bad. It
gets even worse when you are more than a few feet away from the
camera.

AG Schnozz