[OM] Unintended Consequence - Good One

Subject: [OM] Unintended Consequence - Good One
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 00:32:54 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
I think you uncovered a very useful alternative workflow.  Initial impression
was that at high ISO Denoise AI was best,  but at base ISO sharpen AI which can
also do a light denoising.  Now that is thrown on its head.
The overlapping tools need someone like you to suss out the optimal uses.

<<<Does the app make it up?

Yes, kinda sorta within the parameters of the pixel of interest and surrounding
pixels.
<<<how is it so accurate seeming?
---Well trained neural network with training set adequate for the task at hand.

<<<Does it do what deconvolution does, only from a completely new direction?

Not very similar at all.  Deconvolution is all math based.   The   detail
recovery is "real" based on the assumed convoluting PSF (point spread
fxn)--this is from the real full wave solution of the lens/diffraction effects
in Canyon's DLO and
a Gaussian blur in FM, as best one can tell.    In Gigapixel AI the new pixels
are manufactured out of thin air--can be spectacularly good if the training set
is adequate and massively beats interpolation  methods in many instances.
I had a good working knowledge of backpropagation neural networks that I used
back in ISA board days--had an accelerator board just for this.  I haven't had
a need to keep up with this but they are more powerful now of course.
The exact path for the NN to converge on a solution for a given pixel will
remain a black box for the foreseeable future--they just work.

Soon to be replaced by a NN augmented heuristic expert system?  Mike