[OM] Apollo Mission Control

Subject: [OM] Apollo Mission Control
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2020 19:44:33 -0800
I'm back from 12 days in Texas--Houston and Austin.  A highlight of the trip was a visit to NASA's Johnson Space Center. It was pilgrimage I've wanted to make all my life. Part of me is still that space-crazed kid who watched all the launches, hoping I'd be in one of those spacecraft someday.

Building 30 houses most of the Mission Control rooms, past and present. The room used for the Apollo program has been restored to look as much as possible as it did at the moment Neil Armstrong stepped onto the moon 50 years ago.  The period "artifacts" are very detailed, many contributed by people who  worked there during the Apollo program.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49585990292/in/dateposted-public/>

A better view of the center consoles. Flight Director Gene Kranz' console is just left of center.
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49585990232/in/dateposted-public/>

Another console, closer up:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49585753721/in/dateposted-public/>

The building courtyard, with its historic landmark landmark plaque:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49585990392/in/dateposted-public/>

A very happy visitor:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/49585753836/in/dateposted-public/>

The room is smaller than it appeared on TV.  Wide-angle lenses do that.  The viewing area is behind glass in what used to be the VIP observation area--reserved for astronaut's families and visiting dignitaries back in the day.  They normally show an audio-visual presentation of the minutes before and after the landing, but it, um, malfunctioned. No matter. They displayed the "one small step" picture, and a guide talked us through.  All I cared about was that I was THERE.

Olympus E-M5 and Panasonic 20/1.7.  Enjoy!
--Peter