[OM] New Blood - RX10 IV [was Friday's Flowers]

Subject: [OM] New Blood - RX10 IV [was Friday's Flowers]
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 01:02:41 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Interesting Moose--odd about the macro ability of the Rx10--one really does
need to read about it.  I would like to try it.  I hope the current contagion
doesn't put the kibosh
on the endo soc meeting as it is the de facto international meeting.  I plan to
go.

Curiously a friend who is a very occasional substitute Othello management is
going on a trip and rented an Rx100VII from lensrentals and assumed I could
teach her A to Z and set it up.
I looked at the manual and a few tutorials and don't think I disappointed, but
it can be a complex beastie but I bet similar to the RX10 in basic layout.  I
set it up for me first and then simplified.  The auto iso does seem to work
well.  One can copy some menu items to
"My Menu" preventing some menu diving but not as fast as the Fn quick access.
One can change the aperture on lens ring with that cam.  She was pretty
competent in the basics by the end of two hours, but that was time I didn't
really have.  She practiced transferring to her phone and has a strategy to
geotag.  She  said she thought she was in compact cam graduate school, but I
clearly had no handle on the nuances of a cam I had never touched.  I  did fuss
with each feature I thought she might use.  Can't say I hated fussing with new
gear.

I was just given a paper as an ad hoc reviewer for  Endo Practice, so less time
to sort gear for trip.  One surprise awaits, but don't think you will be
tempted in the least.

The olde saying as an intern was see one, do one, teach one, Mike