Re: [OM] IMG: Seen at the Airport

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Seen at the Airport
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 21:32:35 -0800
On 3/3/2020 1:34 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
I’m sure that I’ve seen a photo of your Oldsmobile in the past, Moose, but may
I see it again?

Wow, I'm glad you asked. For whatever reason, I don't have a lot of photos of it. So I looked back at film scans and found one that's always irritated me. I love the setting, and the memory - but the grain, ugh! I just plain underexposed it. The scanner pulls what's there, but with so much grain/noise. And the grain somehow manages to be arranged so as to create large scale mottling. I've never managed a decent version.

So, back to the TIFF from the scan, and try Topaz Denoise AI. MAGIC. It's not so much created detail as removed the masking effect of the noise. Without the noise I can do more normal processing - and finally, a decent image! <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous/Images&image=6991_16newoofm.jpg>

Moose rampant in his steed. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous/Images&image=_1010793rotcra.jpg>

What it would look like, cleaned up and posed. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Miscellaneous/Images&image=OldsConvertible.jpg>

The color may be off, though. It's a subtle green-blue.

I gave up on Mercedes in 2003 when my ML270, a decent car otherwise, threatened
to cost a bomb to maintain once it was past three years old (and out of
warranty and servicing agreement).

Our MB is a 2007 sprinter. The whole thing is sort of weird. At that time:

"The new factory expands a current facility where Sprinters are put back together. It’s all about taxes, or more specifically import tariffs. To date, Sprinters sold in the U.S. are first completely manufactured, ready to go, in Germany.

Then, because of the tariffs, U.S.-bound Sprinter are partially disassembled, shipped to the U.S. as components, and then reassembled in North Charleston. That’s been going on since 2006 via warehouse and factory work that’s called “double handling,” and which is seldom efficient and often costly."

So, ours was built in Stuttgart, partially disassembled, shipped to a Freightliner factory in North Charleston, South Carolina, reassembled, labeled as a Dodge RAM, shipped to PleasureWay in Saskatoon and converted into a small RV. I don't know if it stopped in Detroit on its way to Canada. :-)

As long as we're doing pix:
Camped <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Marin%2C_Sonoma%2C_Mendocino_Coast/Albion&image=_MG_9139ia.jpg>
Through hot air
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=California/Carrizo_Plain&image=_A004347cr.jpg>

If one buys a Sprinter today, it has the three pointed star, but was made in So
Carolina.

I still don’t like them, having been seduced by BMW since 2003.

My first new car was a 1968 BMW 1600 two door. A wonderful, reliable car, with a few eccentricities. One you would not like is really poor ice/snow performance; front engine, rear drive, short, light chassis.

I’m about to spend a few days in Glasgow, visiting family so perhaps I’ll be able to test my
X3’s abilities in the ice or snow; it’s no A4 Quattro,

Ah well, ours is not new, a relatively low mileage 2006, "inherited" from a son. I like the look of this version, but newer ones are a little roomier. A nice car.

but I enjoy the drive and it has loads of lovely goodies, including adaptive
headlights (LED) which I don’t think that I could do without ever again :-)

The trouble with ex-hire cars is that they generally don’t have all the gizmos,
but I do go for used cars nowadays.

And yet, in the specific case at hand, quite a few of the Impalas coming off now are the top trim models.  There was a beautiful deep red one nearby, for a very reasonable price, but I really don't have use for another sedan.

They may be bought with a four, but all the Hertz rentals are V6 and either mid or top trim level. I assume they know a lot about what holds value for resale.

Car Talk Moose