Re: [OM] IMG: Surface Textures

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Surface Textures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2020 14:00:01 -0800
On 3/2/2020 6:25 AM, Jim Nichols wrote:
Hi Moose,

I appreciate the kind words and the critiques.  You are right on all counts.

As I approach 90, I am more aware of my shortcomings.  All of these "macros" were hand held, and some were in awkward positions.  I no longer trust myself to stand on a stool, etc.

As I track along, maybe 13 years behind you, I still stand on stools, but am quite careful how they are placed and where there's a place to use a hand to steady myself. :-)

Hence, the tilted images.  To deal with focus, I shot  several frames and
picked the best.

As I have a copy stand, and flat light source, I would take the things down to shoot them, allowing perfect squareness to subject and careful focus. I'm not recommending anything, just commenting on my personal obsession with focus and DoF control. ;-)

And, as you demonstrated with your example, your eyes are much better than mine.

Lucky, lucky, lucky . . . My hearing has started down what may be a slippery
slope, but my vision is as sharp as ever.

I'm sure focus stacking is a great technique.  With my health distractions, I just haven't seen fit to learn new tools.  Maybe somewhere in the future.

Oh no, I wasn't recommending it. I was using it to show how it's macro where insufficient DoF starts to be a problem and micro where it is really bad. That's where the technique originated - so one shouldn't feel bad about focus/DoF limitations with macro.

Focus stacking is a pain. I never could shoot them right manually. My mind would wander and I'd forget what step I'd just done.   I've done it a lot with the automated capability built into recent Oly and Panny cameras. And it's still usually a pain.

The results can be spectacular, and worth the pain. There's simply no other way to get the full depth of a flower like this. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/JJjoALRVDNiVzW2Z6>

But almost every one I've done has required at least some hand work on the
stack to get it right.

I'd stay away, if I were you.

One Plane Moose