Re: [OM] IMG: From Waaaaay Back

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: From Waaaaay Back
From: Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 13:07:44 -0500
Thanks for looking and commenting, Chris.

On 3/10/20 12:21 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
That’s a great bit of history, Jim!

Chris

On 9 Mar 2020, at 21:59, Jim Nichols <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Occasionally, I recall photos from a long time ago, and check to see if I still
have them in my files.  This one is from the late 1940s, the time of Speed
Graphics and large flash bulbs, and was probably shot by Stanley Coumbe, one of
my classmates who shot for the college paper, The Reflector.  I found a black
and white 8x10 glossy stuck between the pages of one of my yearbooks, and
scanned it.

This was the first of several college bands I played with, to help with college
expenses.  This was about 1948, and there were still a large number of veterans
enrolled under the GI Bill. Looking at the group, I think all except two or
three were in that category.  I'm the fourth guy from the right in the front
row. Red Terry, who ran the band at this time, is the bass player.  I think I
can name them all, so I'm not senile yet.

The occasion was a Sorority Dance for the Zeta Tau Alpha Sorority.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20020430-Collegians+1.JPG.html
<http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20020430-Collegians+1.JPG.html>

Demand for large, 15-piece bands went away around 1950, when they were replaced
by smaller combos with loud amplifiers.

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA