Re: [OM] New Blood - RX10 IV

Subject: Re: [OM] New Blood - RX10 IV
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 21:50:59 -0700
On 3/10/2020 7:03 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
Very nice photos indeed, Moose. And I concur with your observations.

Thanks X 2 !

Your photos always seem to have just the right amount of processing and nothing
over done.

OOoooo, THAT's what I want to hear! That's the line I try to walk on all
straight photos.

Very refreshing and engaging photos to view.

Another thanks.

My ankle is healing more and more. Hiking in Bhutan or Nepal may be in my
future. Seems a very colorful place.

Do your research first! Those are wildly different places, now. 100 years ago, they were quite similar, and much like Sikkim, which was a separate Kingdom and Tibet, along with Eastern parts of Tibet long ago annexed by China.

Sikkim has been taken over by India, Tibet by China and Nepal has been radically changed by commerce, immigration, revolution, etc. The developed parts of Nepal, esp. Kathmandu, are modern, messy, overcrowded Asia. Remote parts may be fine. I should check with Joe Breen, as he was going trekking for a few weeks in the Mustang area of Nepal.

In contrast, Bhutan, although it has its own troubles, is still very much a Himalayan Buddhist country. It's full of traditional buildings, monasteries, temples, stupas, and so on. There is a continuing program of restoring the oldest that is making headway against time. They have a school where they train many students in all the traditional crafts, so there are people with the skills to maintain and restore their cultural/religious legacy.

They also retain their traditional attire and festivals with dancing.

For trekking,I imagine outer areas of Nepal are fine. For experiencing the ancient culture and religion of the Himalayas, Bhutan is all that's left. As most of the country is unspoiled wilderness, there is also wonderful trekking.

If I sound like a tout, that's because we had magical trips both times we went.
I wouldn't be surprised if we go again.

Getting to know a different camera has deterred me from new blood, venturing
beyond the A7's I have. With more than a year with the A7iii, I'm still
learning new tricks. for instance A7x, if you hit the ISO button, then scroll
the back upper wheel, the ISO changes in whole EVs instead of 1/3rds.

Should you ever want a quality compact, or a superzoom, the RX 10 and RX 100 series have the advantage of the same menu system.
But more importantly, each lens and subject want different control. I can
appreciate your methodology.

While I've switched makers/bodies, I've been remarkable stable in lenses. The mainstays, used for the vast majority of my photos, are the PLeica 12-60/2.8-4 and 100-400/4.0-6.3, both with thousands of photos under my belt. The Panny 7-14 and 8 mm fishy round out my serious complement

I really have to bring the photos into post to really know what worked. How
much ISO should be pushed, -EV check, ... as I have said before, knowing what
can be done in post with a given camera influences how I see and shoot.

Yup, yup!!

Lens Comes First Moose