Re: [OM] More flower pix?

Subject: Re: [OM] More flower pix?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2020 02:34:58 -0700
RX10 in your hands is excellent for macro.

Thanks!

The images are nicely composed with good color, resolution,  and subject-
background separation.

Many of those qualities, all of them in some shots, occurred to greater or
lesser degree in post.

I wonder if  the new cam has surpassed the MFT kit for macro or perhaps just
getting some exercise as the new addition on the tool belt.

Definitely the later. It's a bit odd, as decent mag. only occurs at three FLs, 24, 50 & 600 mm eq.. I got my first real opportunities at using 24 mm for C-Us today.

It's really odd, "sneaker zooming" backwards to focus @ 600 mm on something too far away for 50 mm, but too close to focus on at FLs in between. I did get a few comparisons of 50 vs. 600, although I've not looked at them closely yet. Quick peeks say they are both good.

The big thing missing is focus bracketing, so important for many flower photos. Some I've posted have been 2-4 shot stacks created by simply focusing on different parts of the subject. But that's iffy, as in some cases mag changes a lot for tiny differences in focal plane. Not consistent across FLs. Today, shots @ 50 mm eq. looked OK, and @ 24 mm had huge changes in mag for tiny focal changes.

Undoubtedly a result of the v. complex lens; perhaps a reason they've not implemented focus bracketing? Not something I've experienced with µ4/3 lenses. They are still superior for this sort of thing. Nor is it the case with the shorter range, slower ZS200 24-360 eq. lens, and that camera has auto focus bracketing.

I'm still learning what I can and can't do with the RX10 IV. It was originally bought for a couple of weeks in NYC and for walking around other cities. Who knows when I will be doing that again, but in the meantime, I'm mostly enjoying learning a new tool.

Custom settings are the next mystery to dive into.

Super Zoom Moose