Re: [OM] Social distancing WA/OR style

Subject: Re: [OM] Social distancing WA/OR style
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 21:49:51 -0800
> Alaska suicide rate, 0.02%

Depends on which statistics you are looking at. Also consider the fact
that Alaska is a mammoth state (geographically, it spans almost the
entire Lower-48). And consider seasonal influence. The suicide rate is
highest March-May. (not in the deepest darkest winter, surprisingly).

> COVID-9 mortality rate, at least 100 times greater, probably more.

Yes it is. But when you live in an area where everything can kill you,
this is just another item to add to the list.

What I saw today were a couple thousand people out and about enjoying
the incredible weather and scenery. The only "grouping" I saw, though,
were of people who were obviously together and were in the came
vehicle. Otherwise, everybody kept their distance from each other. We
didn't get close to anyone and we didn't touch anything.

The spread of this virus isn't caused by people being outdoors.
Closing the great outdoors is greatly misguided. The spread of the
virus is mostly hygienic and direct person-to-person contact related.

All that said, in 10 minutes, Anchorage will be under "hunker down"
orders. This was everybody's last hurrah.

AK Schnozz

So,