Re: [OM] How Wide is Wide? [was New Sonie lens 20/1.8]

Subject: Re: [OM] How Wide is Wide? [was New Sonie lens 20/1.8]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 22:38:12 -0700
Oops, second great reason to choose this lens, it does EXIF!

On 3/24/2020 7:10 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 3/24/2020 02:05 PM, Moose wrote:

Extra, Super, Ultra, Hyper. Sounds like descriptions of star ship drives. But
also wide angle lenses. :-)
I was going to say gasoline. But then we would need Nitro lenses.

Even with the 20mm, I started to try to get wider with stitching. The result
from PS using the 20mm was pretty bad. Perhaps I didn't use the correct
settings.

My rule for stitching is to use narrower AoV FLs. With the Tamron 17-35 on my 5D, if 17 mm wasn't wide enough, I'd go to 35 mm, vertical and take a bunch of shots for the later stitch.

Here's one done that way at Ship Harbor in Acadia. Nine vertical, 35 mm shots. Awesome printed across two pages in a lay flat book! <https://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2009/MtDesert/ShipHarbor&image=_MG_8088-96ia.jpg>

As I think about it, I remember the same basic technique worked well with the µ4/3 Oly 9-18 zoom. Shots @ 9 mm didn't work at all well. I've got great panas with that lens done that way. Later, I went to making pana stitch shots with the 12-60 PLeica. This was done @ 24 mm eq. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/1VbJtr4tc3E5WsMr9>

And stitched in Hugin, to put this one in context.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/TNF3EBnSAZTdHXEE6>

I think that, even though we don't notice them, there are distortions in the wider lenses, or zoom settings, that disturb the Adobe panorama engine(s). The other advantage of this technique is greater vertical AoV. It's easy to forget that in panorama stitching, then find it wasn't enough.

Hugin is generally the better stitcher. Free, more powerful, more controls, quirky (to be kind) interface. On a lot of landscapes, much better than PS. But just recently, it simply choked on one that PS did fine. Very powerful tools, such as the ability to choose control points.

This scene doesn't look bad. Just because you see it every day. Was this a film
shot?

Oh my, no, it's my second shot with 10/5.6 Heliar on A7, taken last Saturday.

I will have to get out my  CV 12mm and do some comparisons. As always,
interesting information. The 10mm does stretch the tree branches in the corners
quite a bit.

Indeed it does. An argument in favor of gong to a wider format crop.

And it will make heads at the sides wide. I was just wondering what to do about that effect in a shot of our little group in a church in Dublin, and that's only a 14 mm eq.

One WA landscape trick I heard, with something in the distance being tiny, is
to put it toward the top of the frame to enlarge it.

I don't get it.

I'm wondering if a curved monitor might render WA shots better for our eyeballs?

No idea.

All Sewn Up Moose