Re: [OM] self-isolating

Subject: Re: [OM] self-isolating
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 10:22:36 -0800
> (Personally, we have about 1.4 Mormon’s worth of food in the house, with two
> gallons of milk and a couple dozen eggs coming in every day.)

Our eating budget has gotten really low this month. We're not eating
out, and we've been working through our larder which got pretty well
stocked up with the past three Costco visits. We were emptied out when
our girls ate us out of house and home. We could go another couple of
weeks without changing our diet at all, and then another couple of
weeks of creative meals and peanut butter. I'll probably make a Costco
trip to pick up a few items making sure that our buffer doesn't get
too low. Just because we have supplies doesn't mean we should exhaust
them without resupplying when possible.

So far, we've had no restrictions on supplies getting up here to
Alaska, but if the port of Tacoma got shut down, we'll be in deep
doodoo. Deep, DEEP doodoo. We'd be looking at a "Berlin Air Lift"
situation to keep people in Anchorage alive.

Up in the villages, it's all a bit different. Most of the native
population is still primarily subsistance living. The old adage is
"Fish for Survival, Hunt for Variety". Food supplies from "outside"
provide the alternative foods (fruits, veggies, dairy) and other
consumables that are not sourced locally. But the risk of starvation
is lower because of the thousands of years of tradition and practice.
The problem is that people have gotten dependent upon outside food
sourcing and they have either not stored up enough to make it all the
way to the next salmon run or they've consumed more over the year in
anticipation of normal routine of resupply.

This may be the year that Karen and I go fishing. I'd rather be taking
pictures, but... This past summer we bought almost 30 pounds of salmon
and we've been carefully metering it out to make it last until the
next run. Between license, gear, time, etc., it would cost me more the
first year, but the second year is the financial game-changer.

AK Schnozz