Re: [OM] self-isolating

Subject: Re: [OM] self-isolating
From: Tina Manley <tmanley@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 17:09:23 -0400
My favorite grocery store has closed permanently.  I shopped at the next
closest one (18 miles) yesterday.  The things they were out of were weird.
No flour, no sugar, no mayonnaise, no bread, no eggs, no chicken, no TP, no
paper towels, no potatoes, no bananas.  The only one I was really worried
about was flour.  I came home and tried to order from Amazon and from King
Arthur.  No flour.  I still have plenty in the basement but If I continue
to make all of our bread, I'll eventually run out!  I ordered cornmeal
instead.  I guess we'll eat cornbread!!

I watched a video on how to safely buy and put up groceries.  You are
supposed to leave them on the porch or garage for 3 days before bringing
them in the house and then you should sanitize everything!!

Tina

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 4:51 PM Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That sounds like stupid greed and selfishness. If people shop rationally,
> there should be no shortages. When I go to the supermarket, things are
> almost normal. Yesterday they had no Brussels sprouts which I happened to
> want for dinner, but that was the extent of my deprivation.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan
>
> Nathan Wajsman
>
> Alicante, Spain
> http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

> YNWA
>
> "I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"

> > On 26 Mar 2020, at 21:36, Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >     Things are slowly getting better here, though a long way to being
> normal.  Many grocery stores have shelves partially stocked instead of
> being mostly empty.  I actually picked up some Ramen this morning.

> >> Our eating budget has gotten really low this month. We're not eating
> >> out, and we've been working through our larder which got pretty well
> >> stocked up with the past three Costco visits. We were emptied out when
> >> our girls ate us out of house and home. We could go another couple of
> >> weeks without changing our diet at all, and then another couple of
> >> weeks of creative meals and peanut butter. I'll probably make a Costco
> >> trip to pick up a few items making sure that our buffer doesn't get
> >> too low. Just because we have supplies doesn't mean we should exhaust
> >> them without resupplying when possible.
> >>

> > Chris
> >
> > When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
> >     - Hunter S. Thompson
> > --

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com