Re: [OM] self-isolating

Subject: Re: [OM] self-isolating
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2020 14:52:39 -0700
Our local market has geezer hours in the morning. My wife went and said the shelves were getting bare. Apparently a supply problem on the mainland as there wasn't excessive hoarding here. People were behaving safely and just going about their business quickly with little of the socializing that typically goes on. My wife said it was quite busy as we have a high geezer population. We had watched the video Tina referenced and followed the recommendations. We have two main grocery stores. One for locals and located on the outskirts of the village and the other is in town catering more to visitors, i.e. half booze. Same owner. (he has a store in Hailey, ID too) He is setting up remote shopping so you can call in your list and pick up in the parking lot.

Coming back from our walk last evening we noticed more "foreign" license plates and a group of tourist kids on bicycles NOT isolating. It seems we have become a joy ride destination and escape. Consequently the County shut down all transient lodging, camping and moorage. We really have no infrastructure to deal with a medical or supply crisis. The nearest ICU with a ventilator is a $15k flight away.  Can't keep the second (third, fourth) home owners out but we really aren't set up to deal with them too. Our EMT's are the best around and a helicopter ride directly  to a mainland hospital roof is faster than somebody in an ambulance stuck in traffic but they aren't equipped to deal with this.

We are really glad to live where we do. Can't say it was luck because we chose it on purpose (and took a substantial economic hit)

Stay safe