Re: [OM] Self-isolating

Subject: Re: [OM] Self-isolating
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2020 16:10:41 -0700
On 3/28/2020 3:22 AM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Of course, but that is not the relevant comparison. In Italy they kept playing
football matches, filling cafés and restaurants etc. long after it was clear
that the virus was there. I am not advocating that.

We have a niece who lives in Milan. She says the Milanese also turned out en mass for Carnival, completely ignoring any restrictions.

We in the US are having similar behaviors in relatively isolated areas, esp. where there are no isolation orders in effect. Our local authorities have been working to stop this, even though the instances have been small and few.

I am convinced that our restrictions, which currently run until 11 April, will be
extended beyond that. And that’s OK. What I am advocating, however, is that the
restriction on SOLITARY exercise should be lifted

Although I know Philippe disagrees, I agree.

I cannot conceive how picnicking at a roadside in a purely rural area, hundreds of meters from any other people, other than the very occasional passing car, can endanger either us or others.

  to bring us in line with other European countries. Precisely because this is
likely to go on for months, not weeks, it must be made bearable.

From the Orders we and adjacent counties are under:

"10. Definitions and Exemptions.

a. For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence only to perform any of the following “Essential Activities.” But people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 and people who are sick are urged to stay in their residence to the extent possible except as necessary to seek medical care.

<. . .>

iii. To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Social Distancing Requirements as defined in this Section, such as, by way of example and without limitation, walking, hiking, or running."

Thus, your solo cycling would qualify, if conducted properly.

I took one of my illegal walks this morning,

Which is exactly why restrictions should allow safely conducted outdoor activities. People are going to break unreasonable, non-sensible rules. And once they have done that, some of them will start pressing further outside the boundaries.

I'm happy going no further than the front gate and mailbox for days at a time, and even I felt funny about the restrictions briefly yesterday. Carol is used to getting out, going somewhere, doing something, at least once a day. A neighborhood walk every day or three, keeping more than the minimum spacing from the couple of others she encounters, is keeping her sane.

Rationality Moose