Re: [OM] OT: Upgrade Win7-10?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Upgrade Win7-10?
From: Ralf Loi <ralf_loi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 11:03:11 +0100
<<
I could upgrade, I could wait until the pandemic is over, or I could
wait until I need a new computer.  I know "official" support for Win7 is
over. But I suspect that many corporate setups have stayed on Win7 just
like they stayed on WinXP earlier.  I don't think Microsoft would let
them all die if some major Win7 malware appeared.  And I run a good
virus checker (Trend OfficeScan).

Peter,
official support for w7 for corporations exists, at a cost, but is not
available to normal customers. The support is not for malware, but to
ensure that security bugs in the operating system will be corrected.
The problem is that a lot of bugs found in w10 come from code present
also in w7 and maybe also earlier. So when a patch appears for w10
(and not in w7 anymore), there is a chance that the w7 system is
vulnerable to attacks. So it is very wise to upgrade to a supported
operating system, as the anti virus is only half protection.

I have old PCs, a Lenovo 2006 T60 and a 2009 T410, they both had WXP
originally, upgraded to w7 first years ago and to w10 in January.
I had some small troubles in getting some programs to run correctly,
but eventually it is all OK. Unless you have a well maintained system,
and use all the programs installed, I'd suggest you do a clean w10
install instead of an upgrade. You need another disk for doing so,
but you'll have the original w7 disk in case anything goes wrong.
Performing a new install let you check every program to install,
clean what you don't use anymore, install new versions. For any
SW for which I don't have a physical media I save the installer for
later use. The only downside to a new install is that you need to
transfer user data and customizations from the old OS to the new.
Hope it helps,

Ralf (from a locked down Milan)