Re: [OM] Brand new to LR for DAM (mostly), suggestions as how to set up

Subject: Re: [OM] Brand new to LR for DAM (mostly), suggestions as how to set up library and import images.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 15:12:56 -0800
Tina (of the millions and millions of photos) Manley wrote:
> I have two catalogs - the huge one for all of my archival photos, the
> current one for this year's photos that I am still working on.  That way I
> have one sleek, fast, efficient catalog to work on and one slower but
> completely searchable to find anything I need when I need it.

This is a very realistic approach That makes a lot of sense. Mine is a
bit more convoluted due to my more "portable" and "interchangeable"
nature of my hardware, but still similar.

My active catalog is on a portable USB 1TB Samsung SSD which I can
plug into any of my computers. It's what I use for my initial card
dumps and edits. The images are all stored in a directory
/pictures/year/date separate from the catalog. The catalog and my
current year is kept on the SSD and I copy both over to the big drives
(5TB) for ongoing storage and backup. One of the drives stays put in
my office and the other at home.

When I want to do something with the older years (pre 2019), I have to
use the big 5TB drive. However, if I'm working on a project that
involves a lot of work on many files, or if I'm wanting to be
ultra-portable, I'll copy that year's catalog and related pictures
subdirectory over to the SSD. When done, I copy the catalog (and any
photoshop files) back to the big drives.

A side note on my drives... The SSD is formatted to be used on either
MAC or PC, but each of the hard drives are specifically formatted for
just MAC or PC. Although, I do have the ability to use the PC drive on
the MAC, I find performance and reliability lacking--a sleep condition
can corrupt the drive.

Another side note about portable USB drives: The Seagate drives with
shingling have excessive variability in performance. If you are JUST
reading files, they're fast. If you are JUST writing files, they're
usually fast (until the buffers are jammed up). If you reading AND
writing image files (like using Lightroom most of the time), they can
be a total disaster. It's not uncommon for the drive to just go away
for 15 seconds at a time. This problem appears to be a problem only
related to the shingling drives.

An additional side note just because this needs to be TLDR. Best Buy
has the WD Easystore 4TB available for $99.99. The Easystore drives
lack only one feature of note and that's the password-protection.
Otherwise, they are excellent drives and fast.

AG Schnozz