Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/3/2020: shopping in the times of coronavirus

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 28/3/2020: shopping in the times of coronavirus
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 01:02:20 -0700
On 3/31/2020 2:27 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
That clear film looks like a very sensible precaution, Nathan, but I’m pretty
convinced that masks are useless unless you’re diseased.

The rational used in East Asia is simple.

1. Peer pressure means that everyone wants to know what others are doing, and
will follow.

2. Infected individuals become contagious before showing symptoms.

3. There appear to be carriers, whether long term, or just infected people without symptoms while the disease runs its course in them.

4. It is becoming clearer that infection has vectors other than droplets from
coughs and sneezes.

Ergo, if you make everyone wear masks, as in Singapore, the contagious ones will be wearing masks. Otherwise, at least some of them will not.

And, how do you, or I, know we aren't "diseased"? If one of us gets sick in a couple of days, how will we feel about where we've been without a mask?

Read about this outbreak in Washington.
<https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak>

 "Experts said the choir outbreak is consistent with a growing body of evidence that the virus can be transmitted through aerosols — particles smaller than 5 micrometers that can float in the air for minutes or longer."

Contrary to advice from WHO and CDC:

". . . a study published March 17 in the New England Journal of Medicine found that when the virus was suspended in a mist under laboratory conditions it remained “viable and infectious” for three hours"

Wearing a mask is not just about protecting oneself, although they likely improve one's odds, but about respecting, and protecting, others.

Logic and Ethics Moose