Re: [OM] A Marriage Made in the Heavens

Subject: Re: [OM] A Marriage Made in the Heavens
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2020 11:21:09 -0800
> I remember from my years at Cessna, that the light singles, 172 and up, were
> available with floats, amphibious or not. The amphibious floats to me looked
> silly, as the wheels and tires looked just like the ones on a riding
> lawnmower. They sold quite a few.

I have a picture (to be posted next), taken the same day last year, of
N907AR, which got completely rebuilt after this:

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/NTSB-releases-Rogoffs-first-hand-account-of-Halibut-Cove-plane-crash-432930663.html

You are right, the tires just look so wrong on it.

My friend's Cessna 180 has an interesting history.
(http://zone-10.com/d1/node/305) The original owner bought right from
the factory and did his own ferry flight to Alaska. The floats were
shipped up separately. Partway to Alaska, he groundlooped it and bent
the wing. After it was repaired, he hired someone to fly it the rest
of the way. After that experience, he had the floats put on it and
NEVER flew a taildragger again. But for some reason, he never really
liked the aircraft (probably because his third landing in it was bad)
so he rarely flew it. He effectively abandoned it on the shore of the
lake behind his house (just south of PANC) where it sat for over a
decade. It was covered in moss and literally had trees growing on the
wings! But the engine was in perfect shape and had every upgrade known
to man. The first flight in years for the aircraft was a very short
and quick ferry flight to Lake Hood, about two miles away. There it
underwent a full restoration. He's got several STCs on it, including
one for upsized tires. One change was when he had the wings rebuilt,
they were attached and angled for speed. That 121 mph listed speed for
the plane is quite entertaining, as it is substantially faster than
that. It's the fastest single-engine Cessna I've ever flown in. It
turns out that when the wing repair was done after the groundloop,
that it wasn't done quite right, so the airplane always had a bit of
instability to it. That's probably why the owner disliked it. When
Dave had the plane rebuilt, they rejigged everything and corrected it.

AK Schnozz