Re: [OM] CCD image sensor cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] CCD image sensor cameras
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2020 11:39:21 -0800
> 1 - FinePix S5 Pro
> 2 - Nikon D60
> 3 - Nikon D2X
> 4 - Sony Alpha 390
> 5 - Nikon D200
> 6 - Sony A7R iii
> 7 - Panasonic GF2

Very interesting. I personally found the D2X and D200 to have the most
incorrect colors I've ever experienced in my testing. They WOULD
capture the IT8 test target correctly, but natural items really
suffered. I think it's due to a rather aggressive UV and IR cut
filter.

However, one thing the D2X had going for it was the consistent color
detection under various lighting conditions. With the E-1, I would get
highly variable color response when shooting weddings whether or not
we were outdoors or flash. This is why I always try to use fill-flash
with the E-1 when doing portrait sessions because there is just enough
UV/IR in the flash to keep the colors consistent. The Canon and Nikon
cameras (Canon is actually a bit more in the middle) kept the same
color characteristics regardless of lighting. The Panasonic DMC-L1
actually threads the needle pretty well except for the uncanny ability
to go nuclear when the sun goes orange.

As much as I enjoy raging against the machine (Canon), I will admit
that most of the time, they do pretty well in the real world. Except
in Alaska. (Alaska seems to be primarily a Sony and Nikon world).

The A7R III is got one of the best sensors around and from what I've
seen, the images tolerate heavy-handed (or even ham-fisted) color
manipulation well. For shooting under artificial light (florescent and
LED), Sony has really elevated the game.

AG Schnozz