Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania

Subject: Re: [OM] Stuck at home in Pennsylvania
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 22:25:04 -0700
On 4/13/2020 1:35 PM, Philippe wrote:
Thanks I had one such - but my original question remains, sorry.

Well, I might as well also die ignorant :-)

From: Philippe <photo.philippe.amard@xxxxxxxxx>

FL eq 100-400 - do you really shoot macro with that FL?
One of the great things about that lens is a minimum focus of 1.2 metres. I
don't know what reproduction ratio that yields, but it does give you near-macro
capability.

Brief answer for me. Yes, I do shoot macro, with even longer FLs.

Less brief raises a question, and any answer requires some definitions:

Question: What do you mean by Macro?

1. Many zooms of the 35 mm film era proudly wore the label "Macro" with mag. of 0.25x, or repro ratio of 1:4. A lot of purists felt macro started at 1:2, 0.5x.

2. The lens that started this has a mag. of 0.21x. That sounds pretty low. But, it's for a 4/3" sensor. If I print equal size FF and 4/3 sensor shots of the same subject, filling the height of the film/sensor with it, the apparent magnification is the same, but the images on film/sensor are of much different sizes, FF ~ twice 4/3".

Thus, in a practical way, 0.21x on 4/3 is equivalent to 0.42x on FF and
qualifies as macro by some definitions.

I often shoot with a 400 mm lens and achromatic C-U lens. At closest focus, it covers a subject area of 40x30 mm, which is FF the eq. of 0.86x, or 1:1.16. As this magnification is considerably greater than that of the OM 50 mm macro lenses, it is certainly macro.

As to why I do so,perhaps this photo is a good answer.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/BgxKymwHzWXRiKQ68>

Cropped horizontally, but not vertically. I take quite a lot of photos of modest to tiny creatures that would flee if approached at the working distance of conventional FL macro lenses.

Or perhaps this shot? <http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=20427>

For tiny, un-moving things, I go conventional, Oly Macrophoto Stand VST-1 and either OM 20/2 and 38/2.8 on FF A7 or Oly 60/2.8 macro on E-M5 II, in 60 MP-ish HR Mode.

Long and Short of It Moose