Re: [OM] Interesting Olympus Accessory - Auto Bellows/Slide Copier

Subject: Re: [OM] Interesting Olympus Accessory - Auto Bellows/Slide Copier
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 13:29:19 -0400
The auto-bellows/slide copier combo would need an 80mm f/4 Zuiko Macro lens to
get the 1:1 magnification needed to copy slides.  In fact, the 80mm lens was
optimized for this kind on 1:1 magnification.  The lens needed a bellows.  It
did not focus if mounted directly on an OM body.

Several manufacturers made a bellows that used a double cable release to stop
down the lens aperture.  More interesting, and unique to Olympus, was the
65-115mm Olympus Telescopic Auto Tube
https://esif.world-traveller.org/om-sif/macrophotogroup/auto_tube_65-116.htm

Although the extension range was less than the auto bellows, it was rugged,
hand-holdable, and the extension adjustment  was easy, rapid, and reliable.
Used with the 135mm f/4.5 Macro lens, it allowed hand-held macro photography in
situations similar to what the current 60mm f/2.8 M Zuiko Macro can handle,
including infinity focus.

Occasionally I think of pulling out my auto-tube/135 rig to use on my OM-D, but
when I give it further thought, the modern lens is easier and much quicker to
use, and goes all the way to 1:1.

Nostalgia isn't all it is cracked up to be.

    > On 4/15/2020 13:49 Rand Tomcala wrote:

    > It would require a double cable release to be "Auto" (sold
   separately)

    >> On 4/15/2020 11:52 AM, Jan Steinman wrote:

    >> But in looking over the photos closely, I didn't see anything
   "auto" about it.