Re: [OM] America / Firearms

Subject: Re: [OM] America / Firearms
From: Jan Steinman <jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 12:11:03 -0700
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>>
>
> The Second Amendment is very terse, "A well regulated Militia, being
> necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep
> and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I could fix this, if both sides of the issue weren’t such nut-jobs.

Congress *could* set up a system of certifying “militias,” without having
access to their membership lists.

Any rod-n-gun club or grange or hunting organization could qualify. They would
have to re-certify their members annually, including mandatory refreshing and
re-training. Re-certification would include reporting of such things as marital
problems, recent divorce or relationship break-up, etc., like we have to report
here in Canada when obtaining a Possession and Acquisition License.

Any gun sales could only be to current militia members in good standing .

No rod-n-gun club wants crazies in their midst. They don’t even want folk with
a history of domestic violence. True peer-review.

But the slightest notion of self-regulation will bring out the loudly vocal
crazies. This could work, but it’s DOA.

Jan