Re: [OM] [Formatting SSD for Mac.

Subject: Re: [OM] [Formatting SSD for Mac.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2020 11:24:10 -0800
> (You DO have a backup drive, no? If you only have one hard drive, but at
> least two slots, dedicate it to Time Machine when you put in the SSD. If you
> only have one slot, buy an external case for the HD you’re replacing, and
> then use it for backup. My impression is that SSDs, while fast, aren’t as
> reliable as hard disks.)

My backup strategy is a little convoluted but it is working for right
now. It's convoluted because I use two completely different systems
interchangeably. Both laptops. Whichever one is being used at the time
will be the one that ingests the camera files (or scans). In most
cases, my working external drive is the Samsung T5 1TB external SSD. I
have Lightroom Catalog and the appropriate /Pictures... subdirectory
loaded on it. Most of the time that's my active external drive for
either system.

Then I copy all the active stuff over to the external HDD for that
computer. Later on, I'll repeat the same process with the other
computer and copy the files to that computer's external HDD. From the
PC, I have the directories copied to an off-site server in Texas. I
typically do that update once a month, and let that crush my data cap
the day before the new month starts. I also keep 2TB worth of stuff
backed up on another external HDD and that's stored off-site at the
office.

I'll continue this setup for a few months more until I develop a
better strategy.

I was using NTSF, with emulator for the Apple, but experienced data
corruption which ended up destroying about a month's worth of photos.
Aargh! The corruption was duplicated across drives. I was able to
recover some of the photos from my Texas backups that had been, uh,
neglected.

AG Schnozz