[OM] IMG: Some Spanish folklore

Subject: [OM] IMG: Some Spanish folklore
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 13:23:22 +0200
Today, April 23rd, is a special day in some parts of Spain. In Catalonia it is
Diada de Sant Jordi, St. George’s Day. It is also celebrated elsewhere in
Spain, but in Barcelona it has some special traditions, with young women giving
books to young men, receiving flowers in return. Lluis has shown it to us in
the past. Sadly, this year, with everyone locked up, there will be no merriment
in public.

Here in Alicante, we have a local holiday called Santa Faz. The main event is a
pilgrimage from the cathedral in the centre to a monastery on the outskirts
which houses an important relic, a piece of cloth supposedly used to wipe
Jesus’s face on the cross. More than 100,000 people usually take part and it is
a great spectacle, a mix of religion, fiesta and local folklore. Sadly, not
this year. To remind myself of what once was and hopefully will be again, I
post my galleries from 2013 and from last year:

https://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Santa-Faz-2013/
<https://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Santa-Faz-2013/>

https://www.greatpix.eu/Santa-Faz-2019/
<https://www.greatpix.eu/Santa-Faz-2019/>

The main change in those 6 years was that some time in 2017 or 18, police
cracked down on the huge drinking party on the beach after the pilgrimage. The
young people still massively go down to the beach in the afternoon, but now it
is without the shopping carts filled with booze and snacks.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"