Re: [OM] Window Shopping for cameras

Subject: Re: [OM] Window Shopping for cameras
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 14:47:03 -0700
On 4/30/2020 12:09 PM, Philippe wrote:
Well, literate people are spoilsports at times  …  perhaps you could mask the
name of the camera with duct tape ?
;-)

OK, I'll bite. Other than "Mine is BIGGER than yours", what is the point of
such large sensors and huge numbers of pixels?

I have stood in Ctein's printer room, peering closely at prints made from 16 MP Oly E-M5 II files and from E-M5 II HR Mode files. The HR files are 64 MP, but closer to 50 MP in actual detail resolution.

Ctein is an excellent photographer, but his living and reputation are based in his work as a master printer. These are crops, to avoid wasting paper, ink and $$$, and are still maybe 2x3 feet in size. Yes, if one peers long and carefully enough, in the really good light, there are very subtle differences, mostly in texture of surfaces in shadow. Printed full size, on a wall, no one would ever be able to see the difference.

Closer to me, I make display photos for the web and to print in books with roughly 8x10 inch pages. I've even included a couple of photos taken with 1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm) sensors in books. They look great, and no one has ever noticed a difference. I also have a few 16x20 prints made by a service. I can't see how more pixels would improve even the cropped one.

More dynamic range? Sure, if you say so. And yet, recent µ4/3 sensors are remarkably ISO invariant. Shoot to hold the highlights and pull up the lower regions in post. Do I really need more practical DR than this shot, taken with the last generation of 4/3 size sensors? <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/GX85/GX85Shadows.htm>

I have been shooting with a FL range of 14-800 mm, (now 10-800) FF eq. and often find myself wanting longer and wider. The FL range of Fuji lenses in GF mount is 18 to 85 mm eq. with Laowa offering a manual 13 mm eq.

So, for all those $$$$, one gets no more practical resolution, huge, heavy gear
and a very restrictive FL range.

I don't get it. Perhaps you can enlighten* me?

Huh? Moose

* The literal meaning of this English word is to make lighter, less heavy. The
GFXs do the opposite. :-)