Re: [OM] OT: Spamdemic

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Spamdemic
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 11:43:08 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     And they haven't wasted any time.  One in particular is very evasive.  The
letters in the sender name and subject are back shaded so that they are barely
readable.  They can't be blocked as they change the sender's address with each
email.  The address is similar except for a string of 4 to 6 letters, which
gives them about 400 million discrete addresses.

>Of course!
>
>I have attended a couple of events related to the pandemic; on April 23rd
>a meeting was held at the OECD, during which people from the US IPR Center,
>EU enforcement agencies, industry and various experts spoke about crime
>during the Covid-19 crisis. Since the usual activities of organized crime
>groups like drug dealing, pimping, people trafficking etc. have become more
>difficult due to the shutdown, many of these guys (who are clever and very
>flexible) have instead turned to online crime like phishing, identity theft,
>fraud, and so on. The increased volume of spam is one of the manifestations
>of this.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson