Re: [OM] Difference in Raw file sizes between E-1 and E-5

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference in Raw file sizes between E-1 and E-5
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 02:46:36 -0700
On 5/13/2020 1:50 PM, Ton Maas wrote:
I’m puzzled by the discrepancy between raw files from the E-1 and the E-5 in terms
of file size. When you look at jpegs, the average difference in file sizes roughly
corresponds with the diffence in pixel count. Not so in raw: the E-5 yields ORF files of
± 12 MB, those from the E-1are all exactly 10.7 MB. Can anyone explain this to me?

I'm sure this has been discussed here, but don't recall the details. The simple answer sort of has to be that the E-1 files have two bytes per pixel, with no compression, for 9.8 MB and fixed blocks for the embedded JPEG, EXIF, etc. while the E-5 files use lossless compression of the Raw data and likely a variable JPEG area.

Guessing Moose