Re: [OM] Mount St. Helens, 40 years ago

Subject: Re: [OM] Mount St. Helens, 40 years ago
From: Mike Lazzari <watershed1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 10:08:27 -0700
I think everyone around here remembers where they were the day the Mountain blew. I was in my boat anchored in front of my then girlfriend's (now wife) house. I heard several explosions and in the boat the shock wave was like trying to close the door on a VW without cracking the window first. At the time I just thought that someone was blasting. People did that back then. Didn't realize it was the Mountain until later. After all it was 165mi/265km away! The blast was to the north and right at us so that is probably why we heard it. We weren't affected by the ash. Just received a very slight dusting a few days later when the wind shifted. Couldn't see it but noticed it on the windshield. A friend who was a pilot and I planned to go up whenever the Mountain blew but it was too dangerous at first and then the weather turned bad so we never had a chance.

Mike