[OM] 300mm macros

Subject: [OM] 300mm macros
From: Lawrence Woods <lmwoods@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 13:17:43 -0400
I was practicing with a recently acquired E-M5 II and the 75-300mm M Zuiko zoom yesterday at a conservation area in my town and got a few pictures I thought worth sharing.

*A wary eye *
full frame from less than 2 meters away
http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23563*
*
*D**ragonfly*
Also at the close-focus end.  This is a crop of the center.  I am amazed at how much detail got captured, especially in the wings, even though it is not exactly clear exactly what the autofocus locked on to.

*Blue Heron*

Not a macro, obviously.  The bird had just speared a fish, but almost missed.  The fish is impaled on the upper beak only.  The bird did manage to get the fish off and eat it.   Lens was zoomed to 300mm, Shutter speed was 1/250 with IS active, but it's not as sharp as I would have liked. http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=23569

*Fiddlehead in the snow*
This picture is from April just after a freak late snowstorm, with my old E-M5 I and the 12-40 mm M Zuiko.  I love how sharp the water/ice droplets are and the details in the filament sheath. When fern plants first emerge in the Spring, the tips have a fiddlehead shape that looks even more like a violin after the brown sheath disappears and the plant turns green.

     ----- Larry Woods