Re: [OM] Canadian Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

Subject: Re: [OM] Canadian Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2020 17:11:56 -0700
<<<Magic, Magic, Magic. Topaz Denoise AI and POOF

On sale now for $59.99  (79.99 usually) and use DENOISE15 code for another 15%
off.  Sharpen AI also does some NR and sometimes Prime NR with DXO PL is best.

Not any more . . .

I lost Moose's post on his optimal sequence, but it seems very image dependent.

Not only image dependent, but a moving target. Topaz is still refining their AI tools, so what was true last week sometimes isn't today.

I need to find that post and save it.

Nah. Old news. I certainly forget what I may have said.

Latest news is addition to Denoise AI of a Low Light Module. New magic. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/Topaz%20AI/TopazDenoiseAI_LLM/_B__1768rotfp.htm>

First row is Original and NRs that failed.
Second row:

Denoise AI Clear makes something one could work with for a decent modest size display. Interesting artifact pattern in the plain red robes.

LLM does a better job with real detail, and different interesting artifact
pattern in the plain red robes.

Adding Denoise AI Clear on top of LLM cleans the faces up and knocks the
pattern artifacts down do mottling.

A powerful dose of NeatImage to only the robes eliminates the mottling.

The final version of the whole image has slightly funny lighting/tonal distribution. But this is about LLM. I may change that later - or not.

Best to do NR first and doing it at conversion makes sense.  Can save the file
with DENOISE AI as DNG--makes for complex workflow.

I don't understand. Doesn't matter, as both Clear and LLM trump DxO Prime, at the moment. If using DxO, I simply "Export to Application" to PS. That saves and opens a TIF, and is sometimes a little slow, but is transparent workflow.

The new version also allows masking.  I thought is was easier to mask in PS and
Sharpen AI on the selection.

I do Sharpen AI in PS on the whole image, then mask. If I do it on only the masked area, and the mask needs adjustment, that's more trouble.

Curiously Sharpen AI though tends not to overdue previously sharp areas unlike
FM where that procedure will lead to ugly artifacts and is to be avoided.

'Cause it's an AI net, not an algorithm. It can also occasionally lead to weird results in areas, which is another reason for masks.

Sharpen AI can also clean up residual noise--adjustable.  So when to use each?
Intuition would say very noisy image--use Denoise AI first.  So busy at work
and rounding with fellows  (Zoom-sigh) will not come up for air until  at least
another two weeks.

Waiting for the AI program to optimize sequence of using AI image processing
tools, Mike

Good luck with that. :-)

(AI Moose is best, however)

He hopes so, at least part of the time.