Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 iii + lens
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 17:07:27 -0700
On 6/22/2020 10:13 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
I'm leaning toward the smaller camera for me to be the E-M5 iii. One big
attraction for me is the good (27mm) eyepoint relief viewfinder.

Can someone give me a good reason not to get one? (Probably not the right list
for this question.)

I've thought long and hard on the pany GX9. Not sure on the Depth from Defocus
autofocus. And not sure about the EVF with 17.5mm eyepoint.

Somewhere you can handle both? The shapes are quite different. And you could get an idea about the EVFs. I'm perfectly happy with the GX9 EVFs, but a poor person to ask.

It seems, both generally and here, that some folks want more than just a frame and focus tool. they seem to want the view to be a perfect representation of the scene, as to color, contrast and brightness. GX9 doesn't do that. OTOH, I don't know how the E-M5 III is. The Mk II is terrible with reds.

About the only times I've pulled a camera away from my eye to reassure myself the scene is OK has been with E-M5 II bodies and Fall color. I don't recall that with the GX9s, but who knows. I don't expect a vf to be perfect. If it frames properly, as all EVFs do, and allows magnified MF, I'm happy.

All the lenses I use regularly with the GX9s are Panny, most with OIS. DfD is remarkable, overall, very quick to focus, about 98-99% of the time. With a small and/or thin subject much closer to camera than background, it may refuse to find the subject and focus on it without help. Focus on something more substantial at about the same distance, reframe, and it will usually work. Or MF. This is probably zero % of most folks photography. ;-)

I'm also quite happy with the Dual IS with Panny OIS lenses.

As to lenses, another reason I have a Panny is that my favorite lenses are Panny, PLeica 12-60 and 100-400. I DO NOT LIKE the Oly 12-100. In addition to just not getting along with it in some general way, closest focus @ 12 mm is a disaster for anyone shooting flower, bugs, anything close. Did I mention STUPID??

Apparently, there are lots of people who like it. :-)

I have the Panny Fishy and 7-14, vs. the Olys basically for reasons of
size/weight.

I've kept the Oly 60mm Macro, but hardly use it. I prefer achromatic C-U lenses on the PL zooms. With them on Xume magnetic filter holders, real C-U is a few seconds away, with no lens changing. Optical results are excellent. I know, extension tubes were better, in the old days. they still work well, but no better than the achromats. Lenses are a lot different than back when.

There are combos of lens and C-U lens that don't work all that well. One does
need to check/test.

The Oly 75/1.8 is optically wonderful. The 25/1.8 is also good. I have the Panny 42.5/1.7 over the Oly 45/1.8 mostly for the OIS-Dual IS. Ctein found his Panny superior in the corners to the Oly.

Tidbit: With Oly lenses on Panny body on tripod, you MUST turn IBIS off, or
Blur City. Not required with Panny lenses.

Moose D'Opinion