Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings

Subject: Re: [OM] Hodgepodge Thoughts and Other Ramblings
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 11:26:29 -0800
> Ramble On - Gotta find the [camera] of all my dreams - Ramble On

The new R5 is a rather exciting new development. Other than the fact
that we're dealing with Canon color-science, it looks like it might be
the meow's cat. I'm sure that camera is going to be pretty brilliant.
Alas, there is a problem. Size/Weight. Might as well go with
Panasonic! I fail to see a compelling reason (other than PDAF) to
choose the Canon offering over the Pansonic in regards to full-frame.
The competition is tight. In that full-frame space, ALL of the camera
systems are very good. But some are gooder than others for the
individual photographer.

I certainly have a bit of love/hate relationship with the Sony. There
are some ergonomic aspects of the camera which are best-of. But others
are total head-scratchers. Typical Sony in this regard. Sony has
ALWAYS been this way. It's like a high-end, very expensive Sony VCR
that had absolutely every feature known to mankind, but lacked a
simple battery to keep the clock working in case of power failure or
if you unplugged the VCR momentarily. This is the SAME Sony that
overlooks the blinding obvious that proves that their product managers
don't actually use their products.

> Since you like Provia, I always felt it tended toward the blue, so can see
> your sensitivity to LR shifting WB toward warm. You must be a Cool person.

No, not at all. I've always gone for the warm/rich. That's why I
avoided Ektachrome. I would say that truely "warm" photographs, I
don't care for too much, but I do like "rich".

AG Schnozz