Re: [OM] More easily getting lens data in exif with Zuikos

Subject: Re: [OM] More easily getting lens data in exif with Zuikos
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 15:52:28 -0700
My go-to tGUI ool for EXIF stuff is GraphicConverter.

Thanks for commenting, Jan.  I don't mind the look of Namethatlens.  I had
other gui interfaces to exiftool and geosetter uses it in the background.
Command line is too much work for me at the moment.  My other gui interface to
exiftool is no longer supported and crumped on my system a couple years back.

There is another way, rooted in an ancient, v. little known Windoze feature.

In Explorer, select a file or files, right click, and in the drop down menu is the option "Send To". Hover cursor over that and a further menu/list appears. Select an item on that list and Windoze starts it, fed with the list of names of the highlighted files. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Send_To/Send_To.jpg>

As you can see in the pic, I have lots of .bat files shown. All of them invoke exiftool.exe to make changes to EXIF data. Here's the bat file for the Zuiko 600/6.5 @ f8
=============================
@echo on
:begin
if _%1_==__ goto end
echo Processing %1...
C:\Users\Moose\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter\tools\exiftool -FocalLength="600 mm" -LensType="Zuiko 600mm f6.5" -LensModel="Zuiko 600mm f6.5" -Lens="Zuiko 600mm f6.5"  -FNumber="8.0" -MaxApertureValue="6.5" -overwrite_original %1
shift
goto begin
:end
pause
=============================

This is recursive, processing up to an undefined "many" files at once. I know from experience that "many" is a large number, based on Explorer limits of some sort, but not infinite.

Notice that the lens name is changed in three places. I've found this to be necessary because various apps that show it find it in different places in EXIF. I wonder if Namethatlens changes them all. I'll probably try it. If I were just starting, I'd do that for sure. As it is, I've got a tool that ain't broke.

My film namer tool is very finicky and takes me 30 min to figure it out again.

An advantage of the way I do it is that I can do anything the exiftool can do. For example, although there's no standard entry for auxiliary lenses, I can add that to the UserComment field.
=============================
@echo on
:begin
if _%1_==__ goto end
echo Processing %1...
C:\Users\Moose\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter\tools\exiftool -UserComment="Minolta
#0" -overwrite_original %1
shift
goto begin
:end
pause

I don't know where your current tool for film labeling puts that data, but if it's in EXIF, this approach will do it, with minimal hassle.

The other little question is "Where the heck are the items to be sent to
stored?"

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

I've been using this for year. It's been flawless.

Labeled Moose