Re: [OM] OT: Anyyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Anyyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?
From: Wayne Shumaker <om3ti@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2020 06:58:53 -0700
At 7/31/2020 04:30 PM, Mike wrote:
>Committed to finally hook up my passive sub from eons ago to complement my
>powered sub as long as redoing whole AV area. The only place the sub can go is
>over 8ft closer than the powered sub.  That is 8msec and change time offset
>and back of the envelope calculation have the subs  fighting each other at
>imp't frequencies.  I stumbled into finding these minidsp's which look like an
>excellent answer but complex beasties with complex software requirements.  It
>would pay to be an engineer.  I have to get the more expensive HD version
>(minidsp HD 2X4)  which has longer delays and plays better with some
>amplifiers. It uses REW  (Room equalization wizard)  and apparently it is
>easier with asio drivers (might not work on win 10 all the time ) which I know
>ZERO about.  It seems the process is as much an art as a science and almost
>like learning Photoshop.   Looking for any comments before I jump into deep
>water.    I watched an hour tutorial on it.  Some of these people seem to
>require 120db

> at 10Hz.  The person had 4 subs that weighed about 200 lbs apiece.  sheesh.
> I just need to even out the response for more seating positions.  There are
> some nulls.  I am sure the placement isn't best, but the  aesthetic police do
> have their limits. So much for processing my daylily stacks until I get this
> sorted.
>
>https://www.minidsp.com/applications/digital-crossovers/minidsp-2x4hd-application/282-2x4-hd-sub-integration
>
>How low can he go, Mike

I looked at the site. Are you intending to use it for the full system? or just
the sub-woofers?
Looks like the configurations can be saved to the device. I assume on power up
they resume their configuration, but I could not tell for sure. There is the IR
remote to select a configuration.

I have tried programming an Analog Devices DSP in the past, a complicated beast
to program. The overall system here looks to manage it well, as far as I can
tell. Would be interested in hearing what you end up doing.

10Hz, 120db. Just get some "butt kickahs" like they use at Jordan's furniture
IMAX.

WayneS