Re: [OM] OT: Anyyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Anyyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 12:48:57 -0700
On 8/1/2020 6:58 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:

10Hz, 120db.

My late brother was more obsessed with bass than I. (Organ nut!) While still living at home, after I left, he bought an interesting subwoofer. It had an 18" speaker, facing down, maybe 8" off the floor. Above it was a chamber, ~4' high and 2' square. At the top of that were slots opening into the spaces behind four outer panels of rigid Styrofoam with wooden strut stiffeners. It was all tuned so that the energy was loaded into the panels, providing something like 30 sq ft. of radiating area.

When he was playing/testing, Heath W7M amp and sweep generator, our mom yelled, "Whatever you are doing up there, stop it! Things are walking around on tables! They're going to fall off!"

Whole house vibrating at 8 Hz.

I seem to recall that 8 Hz was about the point where response fell off. Hmmm, I wonder if that had anything to do with the foundation trouble that house had, and has? Nah . . .

Higher Vibrations Moose