Re: [OM] OT: Anyyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Anyyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 20:23:57 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
<<<Now why should one need two?

Thanks for commenting, Philippe.  Unlike lenses there is a point of diminishing
return with subs.  Unless a room is very specially designed standing waves will
be set up and though the low freq are "loaded into the room" and should not be
directional, that usually doesn't happen.  Placement does matter as far as
standing waves and bass response with corner loading enhancing the effects.
White paper on some cool research below.  Bottom line more subs lead to modal
averaging and more even and often better response at more listening positions.
 Four subs well placed are about as good in a computer model as >100 and two
nearly as good as four.  I want to optimize for the MLP (major listening
position--usually where the person taking the measurements sits), with little
concern for the M-I-L  (mother in law) seat.  ;-)    There seems to be special
software  (MSO--multi-sub optimizer) that can average out the response for
multiple listening positions.  As I understand it, that set of dsp
  results can be loaded into a mini DSP if desired.

https://www.harman.com/documents/multsubs_0.pdf

Two is better than one, Mike

(does not apply to spouses)