Re: [OM] OT: Anyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Anyone try minidsp for subwoofer management?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2020 14:44:52 -0700
<<My subs are ancient (about 60 yrs old) dual voice coil 15 in. University woofers,
bass reflex with tube ports, driven by the surround sound amp of the receiver. Turn up the
sub volume on <<an action movie, and they will lift you off the couch. :-)

I see, but you have identical subs I presume almost equidistant to the MLP.

Yup. They are in old fashioned walnut floor enclosures that were my primary
speakers long ago.

The woofers are mated with University horn loaded mid ranges and dome tweeters, also antiques. The reason for dual voice coils back when was mechanical mixing of stereo channels. They are useful now in that I can use one VC for the sub-bass and the other as part of the surround speakers, all in the same boxes. With the adjustable cross-overs*, I just turned down the higher drivers to balance with the diminished bass response.

You just have to be sure they are smoothly integrated with the rest of the
speakers.

I did. Now, as the hearing in my right ear diminishes, I care a lot less about
such subtlety.

In my situation with very dissimilar subs at vastly different distances to the
MLP, clearly need to look at the histogram when raising the shadows.

Old fashion and new fashion sub, Mike

You need one of those monsters such as I just described. Make the walls of the
room radiators. ;-)

Simple Minded Bass Moose

* No software, just turn the hardware knobs. :-)