[OM] Baff-Oly_ation

Subject: [OM] Baff-Oly_ation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 14:26:47 -0700
Oly has announced that their new 100-400/5-6.3 lens ships 9/8. Robin Wong has a
useful review
up. <https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2020/08/olympus-mzuiko-100-400mm-f5-63-is-review.html?showComment=1596568652509#c4080700950774125380>

It had more elements than the PLeica, and is longer and heavier, but not a lot. OTOH, why is it slower at the wide end? Obsession with constant aperture?

But what I can't figure out is the OIS. Unlike the Pro lenses with OIS, it doesn't do
their "Sync IS"

Here's what I posted on Robin's review:
"I am confused about the IS. Why offer 2-axis OIS, and 3-axis combined with camera body? Are Olympus implying that the 5-axis IBIS of the later bodies doesn't work well @ long FLs?

Any idea how the two options compare?

When I first got a Leica 100-400, I did some casual comparisons of lens OIS vs. E-M5 II body IBIS. As far as I could tell, they were equal @ 400 mm. I also have some spectacular examples of OLY IBIS with the 75-300 @ 300 mm on E-M5 II at very low shutter speeds. Here's 300 mm @ 1/20 sec. http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-M5II_IBIS/Robin.htm

With the latest Oly bodies, why not just turn the lens IS off, and use body IBIS? Does mounting the lens make that not possible?"

Until someone does comparison shots, it's impossible to know which is the optically better lens. In the meantime, I continue to find the PLeica excellent. And it does combine with my Panny bodies for their "Dual IS", five axis IS.

Confuse A Moose