Re: [OM] The new Oly 100-400 compared to PL 100-400

Subject: Re: [OM] The new Oly 100-400 compared to PL 100-400
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2020 15:21:10 -0700
On 8/4/2020 6:05 PM, MICHAEL GORDON via olympus wrote:
Correction below.  Oly a bit slower—see max aperture at each FL in review.

Thanks for the link. An interesting and useful review. Things not
mentioned/addressed:

1. DoF gets really shallow at the long end. Real things we shoot are 3D.

This whole bird looks great at web display size. But as long as we are pixel peeping, notice the significant softening of the head, due to DoF. The camera correctly chose the much larger body for focus. F11 might have been better, but f6.3 would certainly have been worse. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/PLeica_100-400/RedTailFledge.htm>

2. Unlike stuffed eagles, real birds move. Playing with his test images in Topaz Sharpen, the Sharpen and Focus modes are most effective. In my own images, the Stabilize option most often is the most effective. Motion blur, whether from less than perfect IS and/or subject movement, is a big factor. Yes, pure testing is useful, No, small differences may not matter much, in practice.

2a. Air movement messes up the resolution and distorts images from all lenses
at surprisingly short distances.

3. Sharpness/resolution may vary with focal distance. How far away was the test subject? Unfortunately, EXIF has been scrubbed on the test images.

4. That old bugaboo, sample variation.

5. It takes a village, lens, sensor, converter, and post processing software. The above hawk example gives an idea how much what happens after the exposure may contribute.

6. The zoom rings on these lenses turn in opposite directions. For some people, this ergonomic factor might mean that matching the direction of existing lenses is the most important factor.

Looks like a nice lens. OTOH, a bit slower, larger and heavier than what I have. AFAIKT, the only advantage is slightly better resolution/sharpness wide open.

As I am shooting with Panny bodies, their Dual IS is an advantage for my PLeica.

No GAS Here Moose