[OM] New monitor in the house

Subject: [OM] New monitor in the house
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 12:38:40 -0800
This work-from-home thing finally drove me to buy a new computer
monitor. I really needed something a bit larger and higher-rez than
what I was using.

Amazon to the rescue.

I bought a AOC U2790VQ 27" 4K monitor. The price was quite decent and
I figure that most monitors in the "affordable" range are all pretty
close to each other in spec and build quality. That, however, isn't
always the case.

Fortunately, "speed" isn't my highest priority, so the fact it isn't
perfect for gaming is not of my concern. But it isn't bad. But it
isn't as good as the fastest stuff around.

What to like:
1. Price
2. IPS display, features, etc.
3. Multiple inputs. (Displayport and 2 HDMI)
4. Comes with cables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
5. Slight matte surface that cuts down on reflections a lot!
6. 10bit
7. Basic instructions for installation are printed right on the flap
of the box. Not that it was really needed. Five or six pictures, have
a nice day.

What to not like:
1. Flimsy base. I'll be replacing that thing with an arm right away.
2. While reasonably "frameless", there is still about a half-inch zone
with no image. "Seamless" dual-monitor use will still have at least an
inch of dead-zone.
3. Controls? What controls?

Right out of the box, the color and contrast looks really good. I
pulled Lightroom up for a minute and I think it's reasonably close.

The Amazon price in the USA is $285. For a 27" 4K IPS monitor that
comes with cables, that's a pretty reasonable price. We did splurge
and get the 4-year protection plan, just in case this thing packs it
in. I hold no illusions that it's as robust as a high-end monitor.

Recommended.

AG Schnozz