Re: [OM] Baff-Oly_ation

Subject: Re: [OM] Baff-Oly_ation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 22:07:00 -0700
On 8/5/2020 7:34 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 8/4/2020 02:26 PM, Moose wrote:
Oly has announced that their new 100-400/5-6.3 lens ships 9/8. Robin Wong has a
useful review
up.
<https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2020/08/olympus-mzuiko-100-400mm-f5-63-is-review.html?showComment=1596568652509#c4080700950774125380>

It had more elements than the PLeica, and is longer and heavier, but not a lot.
OTOH, why is it slower at the wide end? Obsession with constant aperture?

But what I can't figure out is the OIS. Unlike the Pro lenses with OIS, it doesn't do
their "Sync IS"

Here's what I posted on Robin's review:
-----------------------------------
"I am confused about the IS. Why offer 2-axis OIS, and 3-axis combined with
camera body? Are Olympus implying that the 5-axis IBIS of the later bodies doesn't
work well @ long FLs?

Any idea how the two options compare?

When I first got a Leica 100-400, I did some casual comparisons of lens OIS vs.
E-M5 II body IBIS. As far as I could tell, they were equal @ 400 mm. I also
have some spectacular examples of OLY IBIS with the 75-300 @ 300 mm on E-M5 II
at very low shutter speeds. Here's 300 mm @ 1/20 sec.
http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/E-M5II_IBIS/Robin.htm

With the latest Oly bodies, why not just turn the lens IS off, and use body IBIS?
Does mounting the lens make that not possible?"
-----------------------------------

Until someone does comparison shots, it's impossible to know which is the optically
better lens. In the meantime, I continue to find the PLeica excellent. And it does
combine with my Panny bodies for their "Dual IS", five axis IS.

Confuse A Moose
One of Robin's response (not your robin shot) to your question, he indicates that the lens, a
telephoto, has more sensitivity in the lens because  "the movement happens at the longer end
of the lens, and there is only so much the body, which is so far away from the lens and where the
shake is happening, can do." I'm not sure that makes any sense to me? The motion sensors are
not at the long end of the lens, are they? I suspect they are near the optical IS and hence the
camera sensors are at the "other" long end of the lens, assuming I am balancing the long
lens on the tripod mount. Seems like a bogus argument to me.

Yup, it's obvious that physics and optics aren't his strong points.The IS elements in a lens should be both as small and light as possible and located where they have the largest effect for the smallest movement, to make the mechanical action easiest. Both of these criteria meet where light path is narrowest, which will be somewhere in the middle.

And I can't see any logical reason why OIS should necessarily be better than IBIS, although there may be engineering reasons in particular applications. How far can an IS group move without affecting IQ, vs. how far a sensor may be moved and recover in the necessary time frame, for example.

I don't have any oly cameras to tell for sure, but the PL 100-400 + GX9 IBIS
does quite well.

That's one reason I included a link the the bird pic. Even the now dated E-M5
II has very good IBIS at least @ 300 mm.

I had used the PL 100-400 @ 350-400 mm for 4,900+ exposures on E-M5 II bodies before I switched to GX9 bodies, and now for 2,000+ on GX9s

I didn't notice any sudden improvement in IS with the switch. I have this idea that the Dual IS should help, but really can't say I've noticed that. As I've mentioned before, I have more trouble with subject motion than camera motion. Neither wind nor critters are often really still.

Oh Why Ess* Moose

* Say it fast.