Re: [OM] The new Oly 100-400 compared to PL 100-400

Subject: Re: [OM] The new Oly 100-400 compared to PL 100-400
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2020 22:13:04 -0700
No GAS Here Moose writes:

<<Looks like a nice lens. OTOH, a bit slower, larger and heavier than what I
have. AFAIKT, the only advantage is slightly better resolution/sharpness wide open.
<<As I am shooting with Panny bodies, their Dual IS is an advantage for my
PLeica.

I thought you would enjoy the review and reach the  conclusion you did.  Had
the lens be released first, suspect would have bought it.  The PL OIS has come
in handy as well on the GM-5  (talk about the tail wagging the dog)  when the
Oly body was otherwise occupied.
I suppose if the performance with the TC's is stellar due to matched optics
design, could still be tempted.

Ah, a point I missed mentioning. For me, although certainly not for everyone, the problem with TCs is changing lenses on the fly. I very much dislike changing lenses in the field, and esp. so with large, heavy lenses.

I vividly recall, first trip with 100-400, Carizo Plain NM, no surface on which to put anything down but the dirt at my feet, wind, dust. Realistically, I'm pretty sure that my use would be very limited.

The related question is what would I be shooting with them, and what advantage would they give me. In relatively good test conditions, I would guess that IQ with TCs will be superior to cropping to the same AoV without them.

Considering the interaction of aperture, shutter speed and ISO on resolution, and esp. the air and subject movement effects, on the road/in the field, I'm not so sure there would be much difference.

   The improvement in PP tools does change the  equation some as you point out.

It really does, for me.

Incurable GAS, but not at the moment,

Mine temporarily sated.

How Far is Moose