[OM] IMG: Spain's version of Land's End

Subject: [OM] IMG: Spain's version of Land's End
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:02:42 +0200
Despite the coronavirus and the difficulty of international travel, we decided
that we needed a bit of a real vacation, but within Spain. So we have booked a
few days at a spa and golf resort in Spain’s northwestern region Galicia, from
today (Monday) until Thursday, which happens to be our wedding anniversary. We
started by driving to Santiago de Compostela on Friday, an easy 1040 km drive
from Alicante on nice motorways with light traffic. We have been walking around
the city, but yesterday we also drive the 85 km to Spain’s version of Land’s
End, Finisterre (or Fisterra in the local language gallego) to have a look at
the famous Cape Finisterre.

As we approached the coast, we passed through the town of Sardiñeira; the fog
was rollling in from the Atlantic. The houses look very different from our part
of Spain—here, the architecture reminded us more of Switzerland and southern
Germany than of our Mediterranean coast:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3MmLDQs/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-3MmLDQs/A>

The lighthouse at Cape Finisterre. As is evident, many other people had the
same idea as us. There were no foreign tourists, just people from the
surrounding region and some, like us, from other parts of Spain. The building
next to the lighthouse is now a small hotel and restaurant, where we had a good
lunch:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-dX5zBcS/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-dX5zBcS/A>

Galicia considers itself one of the Celtic nations, and bagpipers can be seen
in Santiago, as well as here in Finisterre:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7Nspsrr/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-7Nspsrr/A>

The view of the Atlantic coast from the cape. Today we had extremely benign
weather; in more normal times, this is a severe place, with lots of shipwrecks
at the bottom of the Atlantic:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-chpjPhg/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-chpjPhg/A>

More to come from Santiago and Mondariz, where we are heading this afternoon.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I’m not arguing, I’m just explaining why I’m right"