Re: [OM] RR Bridge rebuild nearly done

Subject: Re: [OM] RR Bridge rebuild nearly done
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 09:52:44 -0800
> Railroads don't mess around.

Several items of note - some not mentioned in the article:

1. No significant foundation damage that can be taken care of without
redigging, pouring and pile-driving.
2. The main spans not pretzeled are OK for now.
3. They already have some spans ready to go for other projects that
they can hijack. Minimal new fabrication required.
4. DHS cleared the way from onerous local permitting requirements and
environmental studies.

Love him or hate "him", but this quick turnaround did absolutely
require regulatory intervention from the Executive Branch. I'm
following this from the telecom industry perspective, and nobody has
seen our government move this quickly, like ever. Not only did this
bridge collapse affect a MAJOR rail route with significant national
security concerns, but it also wiped out a major fiber route that has
dramatically decreased spare and protection capacity in half the
country.

AG Schnozz