Re: [OM] RR Bridge rebuild nearly done

Subject: Re: [OM] RR Bridge rebuild nearly done
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 13:07:19 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
     I drove around a little and found an advantage point on a freeway entrance
ramp, but there was no opportunity to stop and take photos.  So I just drove
slowly and took a good look.

     The destroyed Pratt truss section is being replaced with a simple Pony
Plate (aka Through Plate Girder) bridge, which is both expedient and
cost-effective.  I couldn't see well enough, but I get the impression that the
destroyed wooden trestle approach section is being replaced with a rock-filled
berm, which may have been the pile driver sounds I heard earlier.

>1. No significant foundation damage that can be taken care of without
>redigging, pouring and pile-driving.
>2. The main spans not pretzeled are OK for now.
>3. They already have some spans ready to go for other projects that
>they can hijack. Minimal new fabrication required.
>4. DHS cleared the way from onerous local permitting requirements and
>environmental studies.

Chris

     - Hunter S. Thompson