Re: [OM] IMG: Unidentified Insect

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Unidentified Insect
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2020 15:25:12 -0700
On 8/9/2020 10:14 AM, Dean Hansen via olympus wrote:
Moose posted two photos of what I recognized as a fairly common Ichneumon
wasp; here's one: <
http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2012/White_Mountains&image=_9110653cr.jpg>
Years back I photographed, with a Super 8 movie camera, a female wasp of
this species using that long "stinger" to penetrate a tree trunk and lay an
egg on some hapless beetle larva inside.  A quick Google search led to a
nice video of such an egg-laying process of a related wasp:  see <
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=KxHckvpbopQ>.

Way Kewl!

Thanks for the link, Dean. I knew what the "stinger"/ovipositor did, in words,
but seeing it is amazing!

Ouch Moose