Re: [OM] Something new from me

Subject: Re: [OM] Something new from me
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 21:50:39 -0700
On 8/20/2020 5:25 PM, Peter Klein wrote:
This is my front yard:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/50249862157/in/dateposted-public/>
This is my front yard in infrared:
<https://www.flickr.com/photos/24844563@N04/50249664291/in/dateposted-public/>
Any questions?  :-)

Leica M8, 35/2 Summicron IV at f/5.6. Hoya R72* filter for the IR shot. Best IR obtained using the right-hand f/2 DOF mark, based on a very quick hand-held test.  The M8 TTL metering is close enough to be useful. The M8's IR shutter speeds in sunlight are about 1/60 second plus or minus one stop at mid-apertures and ISO 160. I boosted the red channel and general contrast in the B&W conversion. The idea was to get the leaves almost white but still maintain some detail.

Mission nicely accomplished!

OTOH, I don't "get" it. I don't see what it adds to the subject.

Then again, I don't "get" most IR photos, and couldn't understand Gee Bee's love of sometimes mucking up his lovely landscapes with strong filters that messed about with the greens, either.

Not a complete IR grump, I do have a 17x22 print of this Ctein IR photos that I love. <http://ctein.com/Peggy.htm> The print is significantly more engaging than the web JPEG. Can't say just why I like it, as most of his IR work doesn't do much for me.

I. R. Challenged Moose