Re: [OM] Something new from me

Subject: Re: [OM] Something new from me
From: Peter Klein <boulanger.croissant@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 14:14:36 -0700
Thanks Moose, and Wayne and Nathan.  It's funny, Moose, I've never been interested in doing IR photography before.  But what with The Plague and all, I've got some time on my hands.  I saw an IR photo online that I liked the other day. And I thought, "Hmm, I wonder what things around here would look like if I tried IR." My old M8 was sitting in a drawer. I'd recently pulled it out to test my TV remote. And it said, "Look at me, I can do IR! Handheld, even!" I thought, why not give it a whirl?  So I crossed Jeff Bezos' palm with a few coins, and here we are.

I really like the result.  There's something pleasing about the fact that leaves glow in IR, and blue skies with clouds are Wagnerian-dramatic. It can certainly be a cliché. But sometimes it can make a purty pitcher, so why not?  It's part of what I call my Mudpie Theory of Art.  Sometimes we just play in the mud and see what kind of mudpie we can make. Garry Winogrand said, "I photograph to see what things look like photographed."

OTOH, my non-photographer wife said, "But it doesn't look like that." After some discussion, she understood why I like it, but she still prefers the "natural" look of regular B&W.  Even though regular B&W is itself an abstraction.

--Peter