Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm

Subject: Re: [OM] New additions to the Living History Farm
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 13:38:25 -0800
> > ... my E-system is now reasonably complete
> Not until you have a few of the SHG lenses! They'll blow your socks off!
> I think the ED 150/2 rivals the OM 250/2 as one of the best ever lenses from
> anyone.

That is my opinion too. It's easily the sharpest, and most insanely
dimensional lens I've ever used. This lens has Lightroom's
Texture/Clariity/DeHaze sliders already built-in.

However, there is one lens that I tried and immediately had to remove
because of EXTREME Lens Envy: The 14-35/2. The 14-35/2 is to the
14-54, what the 14-54 is to a plastic lens on a Holga.

Our Iowa friend who had the full set of SHD lenses hid the purchase of
the 14-35/2 from his wife for almost two years. He used it to
photograph a wedding for one of her nieces, but when she saw the
results, she knew something was amiss. Busted! She was none too happy
about how much the lens cost, and the fact that he hid it from her,
but all was forgiven when she saw how amazing the images were. Having
seen some of those images, I would agree with that assessment.

An F-stop is an F-stop is an F-stop, except when it comes to the
14-35/2 lens. F4 on that lens renders an image completely differently
than F4 on the 14-54 or 12-60.

The best (normal) zoom ever made for the OM line was the 35-80/2.8.
The best (normal) zoom for Four-Thirds was the 14-35/2. Both have very
similar characteristics. when it comes to the edge detail and the
ability to float the subject in front of the background. The "floating
heads" feature is kinda like what happens with focus stacking. You end
up with a 3D subject that has a distinct separation from what is
behind.

But I must stop now. My wife reminds me that "divorce is not an
option, but poisoning is."

AG Schnozz